Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, May 3, 2010

Mom's Sloppy Joes




Ok...so this isn't the most glamorous or creative recipe. But, it is delicious!

I've been in a bit of a cooking funk lately. I'm feeling rather uninspired, despite all the delicious recipes here on The Foodie Spot and in the bazillion cookbooks that I own. So, it was time to revisit a classic.

Actually, I think I'm using up all my creative cooking energy making baby food for my little girl. She's eating like a queen -- purees like carrot-cauliflower-tomato-basil and chicken with sweet potatoes and apples. For lunch the other day she had whole wheat pasta with steamed broccoli, a pad of butter, and parmesan cheese. That same day I'm pretty sure I had a bowl of Cheerios!

Anyhow, here's a great recipe for sloppy joes. They're quick, easy, and as mentioned, delicious!

What you need:

1 pound ground meat (I usually use 90% lean)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup catsup
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. mustard

What you do:

Brown the meat with the onion. Add seasonings if you like. (Every once and awhile I go crazy and sprinkle some cajun seasoning in there, but usually I don't add any seasonings...even though I'm a hard core recipe follower!)

Mix other ingredients together and add to browned meat. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Serve on rolls (whole wheat is best!) with a side of sweet potato fries. Yum!

Recipe from my very cute mom.

0 people are talking about food:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP